Introduced in 1850 and made through 1873, the total production of the Colt Model 1851 revolver was about 255,000 pieces. The cap-and-ball revolver fired six 36 calibre balls, and a loading mechanism was incorporated into the design.
This six-shot.36 caliber revolver was made under contract to the Confederate government. It is a copy of the Colt 1851 Navy revolver. Connecticut Yankee Samuel Griswold set up a cotton gin factory in Georgia in 1830. The village of Griswoldville grew around the factory. In 1862, Griswold produced pikes for volunteers from the state of Georgia. The factory soon began producing revolvers for the Confederacy. No other Confederate factory produced more revolvers than Griswold & Gunnison. Griswoldville was the first town burned by Sherman's troops on his march to the sea.
This non-firing replica has the handling characteristics of the original, with functional lock and loading mechanisms.
Functional lock/loading mechanisms
Correct size and weight
Specification - Metric
Barrel Length 18.5cm
Overall Length 35cm
Weight 0.975Kg 2lb 2oz